Standing at just about 5’ 7” but with a much taller Ego, a ‘go get them’ attitude and an interesting belief in horoscopes. We took some time to shed some light on the multi-talented 22 year old Nick Gitu who despite his small demeanor, stands out even in the sea of talent that is USIU - Africa
1. You’re a VJ, an IST major - Forensics, a pilot, an Operations manager at a tours Company. How did you get started?
I always dreamt of being a pilot since I was a kid so I took it as a challenge that I would make one. At first deejaying was for fun. I started off as a bedroom dj using the virtual dj. I wanted to know more about it and my cousin (Dj ZOOM) taught me how to use the serato. I would rather sit down and make a program that spend my time drawing ledgers and balance sheets, that’s how am an IST major – forensics.
2. How has the life change been ever since you took on these multiple career paths?
You have to be good at multitasking especially when a lot is expected from you. I’m always on the move. Most of my friends always tell me “uko na haraka mingi”
3. Most pilots in your age group say they got into piloting because of the lifestyle that comes with it, not being airborne for hours. Does the same apply to you?
No it does not apply to me. Well of course that’s a bonus but I’ve been interested in planes and all that comes with it.
4. What's in your pilot's bag?
A watch, Randolph glasses (knockoff) and a headset
5. What was your first flight? (When and which make of a plane)
Can’t really remember the exact date but it was back in 2013, the bird was a Cessna 152
6. As a pilot what question do you get asked the most?
Are planes manual or automatic? Are you scared of heights? * Of course not!! Just but a few of them.
7. As a VJ, what’s your creative process as you mix?
I like using random acapella with sick instrumentals.
8. What’s the most annoying noise you’ve heard as a VJ?
Even your mother loves dj…….
9. What was your first flight? (When and which make of a plane)
I thought I answered that. Weeh Focus hehe
10. Are there any parallels between Veejaying and flying?
Not at all. Let’s just say I have a better music selection while up there.
11. What’s the VJ environment like in Kenya? Who’s your competition? Where do you place yourself?
Am not yet there but we are climbing the ladder well. Most djs are doing video which is a good thing as you stand taller especially on the club scene where most clubs will prefer a live video mix.
12. Other than use of video, what separates you from a DJ?
Nothing really, just Video
13. Are you married? If yes, why? If no, why?
Hahaha Okay do I have to answer that? Well I’m not single.
14What’s your preferred music genre?
Old school local music. Those tracks were just amazing.
15. How did you get into Operations Management? The diversity in your career path is quite interesting
At first my dad had someone hired to do that and illd see him take advantage of the small loopholes. So when I was 18yrs I proved capable to do the Job and that’s how we ended up here.
16. As operations manager, how do you solve a problem that arises? How do you act on it? Do you pause and think or act immediately?
I think and act immediately. You lose clients while you take too long to solve and respond to issues.
17. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Tunneling J I have the perfect machine for that. FIFA also tops my list.
18. You’re a part-time realtor. If someone comes to you with a rent budget of KES 20,000 per month, what kind of residence will you get them? What about a person who wants to buy a house at KES 10,000,000?
For 10m Kigwaru, platinum would be the best place, it’s just a few kilometers from Ruaka and growing fast. With 20k you can get a good residence in Ruiru, its less noisy and convenient as compared to Roysambu
19. What has been your worst dealing as a realtor in this country?
So far so good.
20. If you were on the other side of this interview, what would you ask yourself and what would your answer be?
What’s the top priority in your life now? I’d say Aviation.
21. What’s on the horizon for VJ Nixx?
A unique brand that sells out to everyone.
Catch up with Nick Gitu on:
Facebook – Nick Gitu
Twitter - @VjNixx
Instagram - @nickgitu